Friday, April 5, 2013

Viernes!*

I just want to start by saying that I am so happy that it is finally Friday! It has been a long week....Adjusting to a new country and lifestyle. I must say that I am getting used to the way things work around here though. I am also happy to report that the kids I work with are finally feeling better! Yesterday was a pretty good day with them...We made paper chains which took up quite a bit of time, played with blocks some...Then one of the younger girls, I believe she is about 2-3 years old finally warmed up to me and wanted me to do EVERYTHING with her...She's so cute...It rained some yesterday so outside was kind of muddy but that didn't stop us from going outside and playing on the jungle gym they have in the backyard. She wanted me to pick her up put her on the ramp to get up to the slide and then grab on to her arms so she could run down the slide over and over again! Needless to say my arms are kind of sore today. 

Last night Blake and I decided to check out the bar right up the street from us where our bus stop is before meeting up with other volunteers from Maximo. It was a small little bar but a nice stop before we headed back downtown. I was blown away at home cheap the cab was to get downtown from our house in Cedros--$4! Back in Chicago, it would at least be double that! I must add in here that once we got to Maximo a few of us decided to go buy a few beers from the store up the street and sit on the street corner drinking while we waited for everyone else...The only thing that separated us from looking like complete hobos was the fact that we didn't have our beer cans in paper bags. Whoops! 

The bars were fun though, it was nice to get out with everyone that I've met at the volunteer center so far...It was some of the girls' last nights in Costa Rica so we drank quite a bit. Blake, Rachel, and I were all laughing because we seem to be the oldest ones in this group of people we were with so Costa Rica bars are some of their first experiences in a bar setting (if they are from the states that is). Yes, me at the ripe age of 22 going on 23 is considered old here...Well, at least until another wave of volunteers shows up! 

Speaking of more volunteers, Vicky told me that we are getting another guy this Sunday or Monday...He is in the medical program here which should mean that he can speak better Spanish than Blake or I (YAY!) We both have our fingers crossed for that one. Another thing...When I woke up this morning I discovered that Vicky has so many secret rooms in this house that I had NO clue even existed...There is a bedroom right across from mine with just one bed (my bedroom has three twin beds and Blakes room has two twin beds) then there is another bedroom right off the living room with I believe two more twin beds. I asked Vicky this morning how many more volunteers we were getting this week and she just said the one guy...Must be a cleaning day or something haha. 

I will say that Vicky has once again saved the day. I woke up with a slight hangover this morning...But Vicky must know that bananas are fantastic hangover cures as well as french toast! Muchas gracias, Vicky! 

Words cannot explain how excited I am to head to Manuel Antonio tonight. I fully intend on sleeping some on the bus though since I am running on minimal sleep...No matter what I do, I cannot sleep in to save my life. I'm hoping that changes this weekend. Maybe I just wake up early because I am paranoid about missing breakfast...Something that Blake did this morning, in fact he is still sleeping..If he doesn't wake up soon I am going to have to wake him up so we can head down to Maximo to get our bus tickets for tonight! 

As I mentioned before, I won't be able to update the blog this weekend while I am away but I hope to before Monday! :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad Vicky knows how to help cure a hangover! Sounds like the little kiddos are cute and love having you guys there. Can't wait to hear about this weekend--TAKE PICTURES!

    Miss you, thinking about you lots. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I have to stock up on bananas haha. Have fun at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping us updated with the blog! Isn't it fun playing/being around little kiddies?? Vicky sure has me topped as a mom--- her breakfasts sound fantastic!

    Have a fabulous weekend hanging out at the beach! What fun. I'm looking forward to some pics and updates next week.

    Be safe! p.s. How's the spanish coming along? :)

    ReplyDelete