Thursday, April 25, 2013

Week 4!*

Can't believe I am about to have my one month anniversary in Costa Rica! It has been a crazy week here! 
Quick update about my home-stay. Currently I don't have a roommate and I also didn't have anyone with me at my project on Monday. Surprisingly, it went well though. The kids and I made masks out of construction paper and ribbons and colored outside most of the afternoon. I was very happy that they all worked on a project with me and made my life a little easier. Tuesday and Wednesday I had another volunteer join me from another project which helped me out a lot! I also talked to my volunteer coordinators about the dates that I am going to be taking off and they were really supportive of it. They know how beautiful Costa Rica is and that every one should get to experience as much as possible while they are here. I talked to the head volunteer coordinator Kim a lot today about places to go and what to do. Tentatively, Catherine and I are planning on going to Puerto Viejo this weekend which is on the Caribbean side and closer to us...The week that we are going to travel, starting May 3 we are going to head way over to the Pacific side and go to Tamarindo which is close to a lot of other cities such as Playa de Coco and Hermosa. So we are thinking about spending 4-5 days in Tamarindo. We have to plan out everything but I'll keep every one up to date. 
I also talked to Kim today about Vicki and the situation with her sister in Rhode Island. At the moment Vicki doesn't know if she is going to change her flight for the 30th of April or not because it is so expensive to change the flights and she already has a ticket for May 13th. If Vicki did decide to go early her daughter, who I've met many times before and who lives next door would come to Vicki's and stay here with me while I am here instead of traveling. Vicki's daughter also speaks a little English so it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Although, I'd love for Vicki to stay here with me the whole time I am here...Family is the most important thing and I want her to be able to see her sister. I hope that everything works out for her.
Monday was Catherine and Blake's birthday. Blake was still in Cuba on Monday but we decided to all take Catherine out to celebrate her birthday. We all met up for drinks/dinner at one of our favorite spots in San Pedro Mundoloco. Krista happens to know the owner of the bar as well and he gave us some free shots for Catherine's birthday which was really nice of him! After we ate dinner a group of us all met up and went down to San Jose to this place called Cortel. On Monday nights they have a live band and the place got pretty packed. It was a lot of fun! We ended up staying until close so I think Catherine had a successful birthday. :)
Tuesday we went to this Italian restaurant close to Maximo after our projects to meet up with Ruby before she heads back to D.C on Wednesday morning. I've been dying to try the place so it worked out perfectly that she wanted to go there! We had a quick dinner after work and caught up on Ruby's travels. I am glad that she got to experience so much in the little time she was here! I'll miss her as my roommate but I'm glad I got to know her this past week! Safe travels home Ruby :)
Wednesday Blake came back in town for the night. A group of us decided to hit bar street here. I actually invited out one of the Tico's that work at Maximo. He isn't a volunteer coordinator but he works for Maximo and always hangs out with our group of friends. We made a deal that he would help perfect my Spanish if I helped him with his English. Needless to say I bit off more then I could chew and he would only let me speak in Spanish the entire night. It was actually really helpful and I felt pretty good about myself when he said I did pretty well with my Spanish. It helps to practice with someone who can speak it fluently and it was a free Spanish lesson. Thank you Yensi! :) This is why I love to meet new people in this country, especially ones that are helpful like that and honestly want to help me learn as much as I want to help them learn, it's fun. Needless to say last night was a good night for all of us and I'm glad we got to see Blake again!
Catherine and I took Thursday off from work so that we could spend Blake's last day with him. We decided to go down to San Jose to the markets again and do a little shopping. We also had to go get our bus tickets from Ricardo at Trans Leo for our trip to Puerto Viejo on Friday afternoon. We both really want to find the sloth sanctuary that is near Puerto Viejo this weekend because it is suppose to be really cool. They even let you hold baby sloths...How cool would that be!?
I'll update every one about this weekend once I get home but wanted to do an update this week before I left. Speaking of which...I found out the final plans for my last weeks of my home stay in Costa Rica.
Vicky told me that she is in fact leaving for the United States on April 30th. Her sister just isn't doing well at all...I feel horrible but I am so happy that she got her flight changed so that she can go be with her. Vicky's granddaughter actually came over the other night and helped translate some. Vicky asked me if I wanted to change my home-stay to somewhere else and I said no, that if it made no difference to her I would like to stay in her house while she was away because it feels like my home now...I think that made her kind of happy, I hope. Her daughter, Ana as I mentioned previously lives next door and will be coming over to Vicky's to make breakfast and have dinner with me and so on. Luckily, Ana only has to do that for a few days for me since I will be traveling starting May 3rd. But, there are going to be, I believe three other people that are coming here on May 5th so Vicky told me that I have to move out of my room because it is the only one with three beds and she wants those three to be together but that I can pick any other room in the house. I think I am just going to move across the hall before I start traveling to the single bedroom, I'll only need it for a night or two any way. I wish Vicki was going to be here with me before I left Costa Rica but family is the most important thing and I hope that her sister gets better...I'm just happy Vicki gets to see her. I'm going to make sure to spend some quality time with Vicki before she leaves on Sunday and Monday and to make sure I thank her for every thing she has done for me the past month. I'll miss her very much. 
I'm excited for this weekend though and getting a chance to go see the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. I heard it is absolutely beautiful. Fingers crossed for good weather since we are walking right in to the rainy season! I still cannot wrap my head around that I only have a little more then 2 weeks left here! I'll update every one again once I get back from Puerto Viejo this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment