Thursday, April 11, 2013

Weekend Plans

Well, today marks the start of my weekend! I decided to take Friday off this week from volunteering so that myself, Catherine, and Blake could all go to Jaco, a beach a few hours away to spend Blakes last days in Costa Rica with us! Cat and Blake didn't have to work today because it is a holiday here...But since I work in an orphanage it is never closed. That's fine with me though, one day off this week is plenty! We are taking a bus from San Jose at 5pm to head to the beach so we will still get to Jaco relatively early Thursday night and be able to explore a little bit and get unpacked at our hostel. We decided to do a 3 person private room which is costing us $30 for two nights just about the same price as the last hostel we stayed in which is nice! Not bad at all. Friday morning I know we will plan to wake up pretty early, get some breakfast and spend most of the day at the beach...Catherine and I are going to come home on Saturday late afternoon and possibly go out in San Pedro before headed back to our host families. 
It is going to be so weird coming back to San Pedro/Cedros without Blake though. I've got use to him being with Catherine and I...I'm hoping that I get another roommate on Sunday or Monday though. It would just be nice to have someone else at Vicky's with me. 
The kids have officially exhausted me this week! Now that they have got to know me they want me to do every thing with all of them at the same time. So hard! But it is fun. I am happy to have two other volunteers with me this week to help me out and come up with things for them to do. I know my Mom has asked me to talk about some of the things we do with the kids...So far we have made paper chains, done a lot of coloring, we made puppets, we have made some bracelets, and played a lot outside. The kids really enjoy coloring...and jumping on top of me all the time. They are a good group though it is just hard to get every one on the same page when their age varies quite a bit. The youngest is a month old and the oldest is 12. So you can imagine how hard it is for every one to get along the whole time together. I've just kind of learned to roll with the punches with them though...Even if we do plan to do things it usually works out a lot differently then we would of thought. I learned quickly that markers were not a good idea, seeing as last week I came home covered in marker and half the little girls had marker all over their faces....Whoops! Some people have suggested paint but I must say I am hesitant after the markers fiasco! 
It's kind of hard to communicate with the kids so I find myself sticking around the real young ones who don't speak much Spanish or English and we play outside on the swings or color a lot. I am getting to know the older kids better though and they work on English with me and help me with my Spanish. There is one boy there that corrects my Spanish all the time, Which I am thankful for. Haha
If any one has suggestions on games or activities to do with my kids while I am here I am open! I'd love any ideas!
Catherine and I found out yesterday that we won't be able to do the Turtle Program because the first week of May is completely booked and we have to give them time in advance for us to even get in....The minimum amount of time at the turtle program is two weeks...It's a bummer but I think what I am going to do is take off my last week from volunteering and go and travel around Costa Rica...Hopefully Catherine will join me since I am assuming she will need a break from volunteering just as bad as me. She's here for 10 weeks so it would be a good break in the middle of her stay. Don't get me wrong I absolutely adore the kids that I work with...It is just a lot and some days are obviously harder then others...I think the last week off will be well deserved! 
Since I am going to be out of town this weekend, I just wanted to update every one with what my plans are and will update again once I get home from the weekend. Missing every one so much!! But I am happy that things continue to get easier...Maybe not with the language barrier but Costa Rica feels more like home to me and I am very thankful for it! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh and good news. I found out this morning that I am getting a new roommate Saturday night... A girl. So when I get back I will have someone else in my room with me. Should be interesting. I hope she can speak better Spanish then me....But if not, I'm happy I will have somebody else with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about hop scotch as a game, if you can go outside--may be too warm, but it's an idea. Love your blog! Love you! Grandmother xo

    ReplyDelete